Neurology is the branch of medicine that specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions affecting the nervous system (brain, spinal cord and nerves). A neurologist is a doctor trained in the management of neurodevelopmental disorders, autonomic disorders, neurophysiology, child neurology, geriatric neurology, neuro-oncology, headaches and pain medicine. Neurologists are trained in the interpreting results of:
- Neurological examinations to assess muscle strength, reflexes and coordination, sensation, speech, memory and cognition.
- Diagnostic procedures such as electromyography (assess muscles), nerve conduction studies (assess nerves), lumbar puncture (study spinal fluid for infection, cancer, bleeding or inflammation), electroencephalography (study of the electrical activity of the brain), neurosonography (ultrasound of the nervous system), in addition to CT, MRI, and PET scans.
At Burjeel Hospital, some of the conditions treated by our neurologists include:
- Seizures (epilepsy).
- Headache problems.
- Spinal cord disorders.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Speech and language disorders.
- Infections of the brain and peripheral nervous system.
- Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.